You can sign up for Part D Prescription Drug Plans, which helps cover prescription drug costs, along with other components of Medicare starting three months before your 65th birthday.
It's important to do this on time because there's a permanent premium surcharge for enrolling more than three months after your 65th birthday if you don't have equivalent drug coverage from another source, such as a retiree plan.
If you are already enrolled in a Part D "standalone" plan or a Medicare Advantage plan that incorporates drug coverage, you can switch plans during the open-enrollment period, which runs from Oct. 15 to Dec. 7 every year.
In 2023, you are facing higher out-of-pocket drug costs before you can qualify for catastrophic coverage. The out-of-pocket spending threshold will increase to $7,400 in 2023.
You will also face higher out-of-pocket costs in 2023 for the deductible and in the initial coverage phase before reaching the catastrophic coverage. The standard deductible is increasing to $505 in om 2023, while the initial coverage limit is increasing from $4,660 in 2023.
For costs in the coverage gap phase, beneficiaries will pay 25% for both brand-name and generic drugs, with the manufacturers and plans paying the remaining 75% of generic drug costs. For total drug costs above the catastrophic threshold, Medicare pays 80%, plans pay 15%, and enrollees pay either 5% of total drug costs or a copay of $4.15 for each generic drug (including brands treated as a generic) and $10.35 for all other drugs.
It pays to review your Part D coverage every year, especially if you have started taking new drugs.
Call us to help you understand your options.
Individuals with annual incomes of less than $20.385 and financial resources of up to $14,010, or married couples with incomes of less than $27,465, might qualify for Extra Help from Medicare to pay their Part D premiums and out-of-pocket drug costs.
Additionally, read about the six ways to lower your drug costs on Medicare.gov.
This information was obtained from www.medicare.gov
By contacting the phone number on this website you will be directed to a licensed agent.